Display advertising is the oldest form of advertising on the web. They have been the biggest source of income for a large number of online publishers. But in the last couple of years we’ve seen revenues through them steadily decline and publishers complaining about losing loyal customers to ads. So we thought we’d investigate and understand what is causing this. After a few sleepless nights and a lot of Redbull we at GreedyGame have gathered enough facts and figures to understand what’s causing this. Brace yourself, you might not like what we have to share –
- Ad blocking grew by 41% globally in the last 12 months (Source: PageFair) and there are about 198 million users using these blockers. Display ads are hugely affected by these blockers.
- The avg. Click Through Rate of display ads is as low as 0.06% (Source: Display Benchmarks Tool) Even worse, 50% of these clicks are accidental clicks (Source: GoldSpot Media)
- 33% of internet users find display ads annoyingly intrusive and intolerable (Source: Adobe)
- The growth of display ad viewability has remained stagnated. (Source: comScore)
- 54% of users don’t trust banner ads and therefore don’t click on these ads. (Source: BannerSnack)
Though marketers are spending huge amounts of money on display ads, they aren’t very beneficial. What is the solution to this? The masses have to switch to effective online ad formats that are not affected by entrants such as ad blockers, do not intrude or annoy the consumers, appear in the right context and has better viewability. In simple terms, go native!
Native ads are ads that has in them the power to communicate your brand story as a part of the content your consumer is already consuming. They take the form and type of the content that is being consumed and has the potential to appear in the right context.
For example, consider Dettol. Dettol in its communication focuses on educating the public the importance of hygiene. A brand like Dettol can now leverage native ads to effectively communicate the same instead of pushing banner ads. Here’s how: Dettol integrates native ads in mobile games. Now in most runner games, the game character either falls, or is attacked by enemies and each time that happens Dettol can communicate the importance of hand wash and hygiene at the right context thereby ensuring better understanding and effective conveyance of their message.
Here are 5 other reasons for you to try native:
- Native ads are viewed 53% more than banner ads. (Source: Dedicated Media)
- Native ads that include rich media boost conversion rates by up to 60%. (Source: Social Times)
- 32% of consumers said they would share a native ad with friends and family, versus 19% for banner ads. (Source: ShareThrough)
- Native advertising can increase brand lift by as much as 82 percent. (Source: Forbes)
- Purchase intent is 53 percent higher when consumers click on native ads instead of traditional ads. (Source: Forbes)