Social networking platform Twitter has had an interesting week, as new developments and changes were announced and incorporated.
- Twitter now allows people to share their blocked list with other users, this feature can be really useful to avoid spam and fake accounts or abusive users. This means you can import another user’s list into your own account and block multiple accounts all at once, instead of having to do it one by one.
- Twitter will remove the 140 character limit on direct messages, the change will be active from July. However, the 140 character limit on tweets is not being modified.
- Twitter has decided to implement group related conversations under original tweets and it seeks to highlight some notable exchanges. Now, users on the Twitter website would be able to see Tweets that are part of a conversation and are connected by a line. If they want to see more replies to a specific Tweet then there’s also a “View other replies” button.
- Interestingly today, Twitter CEO Dick Costolo announced his decision to step down, but he will be active as a board member for the social network but he will not be involved in the day-to-day activities of the company. Ex-CEO Jack Dorsey will take charge as the interim CEO from 1st July.
- Dick Costolo’s resignation sent Twitter shares up 7% in after-hours trading and then rose to 7.4% to settle at $38.40 in extended trading. In short, Dick Costolo’s exit was welcomed by Wall Street.
- Twitter will now hunt for a permanent CEO. Reports indicate current Twitter Product Chief Kevin Weil is the dark horse.