Cloud Tech Roundup: Apple Acquires Cloud Computing Startup Union Bay Networks and More

Apple Acquires Cloud Computing Startup Union Bay Networks; Also Opens Seattle Software Office


Apple has acquired cloud computing startup, Union Bay Networks. The company had initially hired many of the employees at the startup, but did not revealed much.

The company later confirmed the acquisition to The Seattle Times, saying ” Apple buys smaller technology companies from time to time, and we generally do not discuss our purpose or plans.”

Union Bay Networks was a stealth startup focused on “enabling the next generation of networking for cloud computing and software defined data centers.” And seven out of nine former employees are said to have been hired by Apple, moving to an unknown office location, reports Macrumors.

Apple Seattle office posted two software engineering positions last week, mention a focus on design and development of core infrastructure services, suggesting Seattle is being positioned as the hub for Apple’s future cloud development projects.

Google Cuts Price for many of its Cloud Computing Services


Google announced a number of new features for its Cloud platform along with another round of price drops for some of its cloud computing services.

The company is cutting prices for many services like Google Compute Engine (10 percent ), BigQuery storage (23 percent), Persistent Disk SSD (48 percent), Persistent Disk Snapshots (79 percent) and Cloud SQL (25 percent).


As per a TechCrunch report, Google is also dropping bandwidth costs, Intercontinental network egress in Asia-Pacific region will now be up to 47 percent cheaper (from USD 0.21 to USD 0.12 per GB for the first TB of data, for example).

Related Read:  #Dealwire - Sheroes Acquires; Zoffio Buy Out & More


But, Google couldn’t make price drops happen for traffic to Australia and China, which are becoming more expensive.

Also Read: [Infographic] Global cloud computing growth: 2008 to 2016

Cloud Data Centers processes 78 of Workloads by 2018


Image Source: Datachiefs

By 2018, more than three quarters (78 percent) of workload will be processed by cloud data centers while annual global cloud IP traffic will reach 6.5 zettabytes (ZB).

According to Cisco’s latest Cloud Index study, which aims to forecast the growth of global data center and cloud-based IP traffic, annual global data center IP traffic will reach 8.6 zettabytes by the end of 2018, up from last year’s total of 3.1 zettabytes. The workload density for cloud data centers will grow to 7.5, up from 5.2, while Global cloud IP traffic will nearly quadruple (3.9-fold) over the next 5 years.

By 2018, 69 percent of the cloud workloads will be in private cloud data centers and remaining 31 percent of the cloud workloads will be in public cloud data centers. More than half (59 percent) of the total cloud workloads will be Software-as-a-Service (SaaS) workloads, compared to 28 percent laaS and 13 percent PaaS.

2 billion people will use personal cloud storage in 2018, while Global data created by IoE devices will reach 403 ZB per year. As per the report, significant promoters of the cloud traffic growth include rapid adoption of cloud architectures as well as ability of the cloud data centers to handle higher traffic loads.

To check the full report, click here.