Online marketplace eBay in its attempt to compete with Amazon’s same day delivery service, has recently acquired a UK based same day delivery service company Shutl for an undisclosed amount.
With this the company has announced that it will be expanding its same day delivery service to 25 cities by the end of 2014 including London and Chicago. The service is already available in San Francisco, New York and San Jose.
eBay believes that the acquisition of Shutl’s technology, talent and expertise will help it reach its goal of expanding its local delivery capabilities.
“The world is changing, with the lines between online and offline commerce blurring and the expectations of buyers and sellers rising rapidly,” said Devin Wenig, president of eBay Marketplaces. “With eBay’s latest steps, we are bringing together the best of what people need from a shopping experience – speed and convenience – with things people love about shopping, like discovery and inspiration.”
Shutl was founded by Tom Allason who earlier founded eCourier.co.uk in 2008. Shutl had raised a total of USD 8.69 Mn in funding.
eBay has taken a number of initiatives to enhance local commerce. Shutl’s acquisition is also a part of those initiatives. Previously the company had introduced In-store pickup where customers can buy online at eBay.com and pick-up in local stores; Scheduled Delivery which enables customers to buy something on their mobile phone, pick a time that works for their schedule, and have their items delivered to them then. Now the company also plans to offer eBay Now same-day delivery for local goods on eBay.com, bringing the speed and convenience to the cities where this service is live.
Along with the acquisition eBay has also announced a few new features on the website to provide more personalized and engaging experience to the users, these include:
- Collections: groups of products that have been hand-selected from eBay’s more than 500 Mn listed items by expert curators, eBay buyers, and sellers
- Curators: top trendsetters across a variety of interest areas, who create beautiful collections on eBay to help easily connect people with the items they’ll love
- Follow: a simple, one-click way to personalize the feed by following the collections, curators, eBay users, and interests that inspire you
- Profiles: a customizable page – for both buyers and sellers – where people can share information about themselves, the collections they’ve created, and the interests, collections, and they follow
- eBay Today: a new page on eBay will help people easily discover the very best collections of items on eBay, selected daily by eBay’s Chief Curator and Editorial Director.
To contact author, email firstname.lastname@example.orgCategory Ecommerce Investments News