With a 31% year-on-year increase, India’s online population grew to 73.9 million, thereby surpassing Japan by adding 17.6 Million users in the past year, as reported by Comscore in a recent release. Talking global, with US losing its position as the center of the internet universe, the India’s share in Asia Pacific grows to 11.5% in 2013 from 9.3% last year.
The report discloses many interesting facts about the current state of the digital landscape in the country. It provides a comprehensive overview of the Indian market and identifies the prevailing trends in web usage, online video, social networking and online advertising that are defining the Indian online landscape.
Here are some key insights from the report about the Indian Internet and Mobile landscape
1) Indian Internet Landscape: At 73.9 million home and work internet users, the Indian online population currently ranks as the 3rd largest in the world after China and the U.S. With 75 percent of its internet users under the age of 35, India has the youngest skewing online population among BRIC countries. However, across all age and gender groups, women between the ages of 35-44 are the heaviest internet users in the Indian market, whereas 25-34 year-olds among men are the heaviest internet users.
2) Indian Mobile landscape: In year 2013, the Mobile and Tablet shares grows to 14.2%, thereby adding to the preferred choice of access for many Weather, Blogs and Music increasingly accessed “on the go”
3) Digital Audience Behavior: The Indian blogging audience grew 48 percent in the past year to 36 million visitors, while 26 percent of category traffic comes from mobile phones and tablets. This year too, Google and Facebook remain the leaders in terms of number of unique visitors registering around 69,.393k and 59,662k visitors resp.
4) Social Networking: Facebook continues to excel in India with an Increase of 28% in Facebook visitors in the last 12 months. As per the report, on an average a user spent approx. 217 minutes on Facebook, with Tumblr & Pinterest found to emerge as the fastest growing networks.
5) Online retail on rise: As per the report, the local retailer Myntra shows highest growth and leads the category whereas Highest Per-User Engagement is on Flipkart.com. In terms of retail sub categories, Apparel topped the list, followed by Computer and Electronics sites, and Comparison Shopping.
Apart from this, 54 million internet users in India watched online videos on their computer, representing a 27-percent increase over the past year. Also, news/ information portal, and sites such as online travel, sports, real estate and search show a significant growth in the current year.
Eventually, this past year saw digital media’s continued rise in prominence as part of peoples’ personal lives. With the platform shift in full swing, businesses will be challenged in the coming year to stay ahead of consumers’ usage curve and deliver them with the content they want, when and where they want it.
To contact author of this post, email at firstname.lastname@example.org
Category Internet News