Swayamvara (Sanskrit: स्वयंवर), in ancient India, was a practice of choosing a husband, from among a list of suitors, by a girl of marriageable age. Swayam in Sanskrit means self and vara means choice or desire (which also synonymous with bride-groom). – Wikipedia
Times have changed or rather evolved. Retailers have become more sophisticated in their offerings and in turn the customers have become even more sophisticated in the way they select products or rather reject products. Oh yes, rejecting is as important as selecting. There is a sense of happiness involved in rejecting. A customer feels in control when he/she rejects an option and a customer in control or with a feeling of control is happier compared to a customer who does not feel in control.
There are various parameters by which retailers can create a perception of choice in customer’s mind.
1. Show more products in product detail page to reduce friction in looking at another option. Related products and products which go along with the product in focus are a great choice for this page.
2. Provide customer an easy way to express his/her opinion about a product. Writing long descriptive opinions is not always possible.
3. Highlight the attributes of products which help the customer to decide selection or rejection fast.
4. Allow your customers to compare products on various attributes.
5. Breadcrumb based structure and navigation enable customers to jump out of options quickly and makes them feel in control.
Overall a user experience which helps customers feel in control and also have an ability to reject products will create a better experience and after all who does not want to be a chooser.
Bal Krishn Birla, is the co-founder of Zopnow.com, he has ventured out in many domains and at various profiles before founding Zopnow. In his career span of more than 17 years, he has worked as the CTO at asklaila.com, Chief Music Officer at Bhoole Bisre Geet, Chief food officer at Potluck Restaurant and Business head with Amazon Associates.