Microsoft today in a blog post revealed the details of its much hyped and most awaited windows 8 update, popularly known as windows blue or windows 8.1.
The update bring back the much controversial ‘Start’ button back on screen but in a new format. Instead of ‘Start’ tip in the bottom left corner of the screen, there is a Start screen in Windows 8.1 which features a variety of tile sizes including a new large and new small tile, so that users can personalize the tiles in their own way.
Some other new features are listed below:
1) Users can now click pictures from the built in camera from the locked screen without logging in.
2) Ability to filter apps by name, date installed, most used, or by category.
3) Search is now powered with Bing
4) Built-in apps are more improved, designs and listing of apps more informative and descriptive.
5) The files can now directly be saved in skydrive.
Although microsoft has claimed to sell more than 100 million windows 8 licenses since october 2012, but it was said that windows 8 is not much user friendly especially for desktop users as compared to previous versions of microsoft windows, thus affecting its sales.
This move of microsoft to bring an update to windows 8 is being seen as an attempt to secure its position in continuously falling PC market and winning over the exploding tablet market. Also the company plans to bring in updates more frequently as stated by ET. The update will be available at the end of this year.
Image credit: Microsoft Inc.Category News Technology