In a move aimed towards helping the e-commerce industry as well the retailers, the Federation of Indian Export Organisations (FIEO) – the apex body of all export promotion councils, commodity boards and export development authorities in the country, eBay India (www.ebay.in) – an eCommerce marketplace, and PayPal – a global online payments provider, today, formally announced their tie-up to promote retail exports via eCommerce from India. This strategic tie-up will stimulate the growth of Indian retail exporters by helping them sell online to 100 million plus international consumers in 190 markets and accept payments in up to 25 currencies.
Mr. Rafeeque Ahmed, President, FIEO advised the exporters to take to aggressive marketing strategies and identify and adopt additional export sales channels such as e-commerce to take on the growing difficult global market conditions. He said “We have been focussing on diversification of product baskets and markets. We now need to identify and adopt additional export sales channel such as eCommerce to reach out to the customer directly thereby reducing the cost of products to the end users.”
Mr. Ahmed added that retail exports need to be recognised and provisions in the Foreign Trade Policy requires to be included to help encourage its growth. He said that FIEO has already requested the DGFT for appropriate inclusions.
This tie-up with eBay and PayPal will provide FIEO members an access to a target audience of over 100 million active eBay & PayPal users across the globe.
“The tie-up will help especially the MSMEs to make use of the ready available eBay’s global market place while they concentrate on their export productions. The marketing effort, which is quite a costly affair, will be drastically reduced for these companies with elimination of markup cost of intermediaries. Accepting secure and seamless international payments in up to 25 currencies will be enabled by PayPal.” said Mr Ajay Sahai, Director General & CEO, FIEO.
Mr. Muralikrishnan B, Country Manager, eBay India noted, “As active evangelists of the potential of eCommerce to small & midsized merchants, we have helped many thousands of Indian businesses turn successful retail exporters. eBay India is committed to encouraging more Indian entrepreneurs benefit from the large export opportunity provided by eBay’s 100 million strong global customer base.”
“There are 30 million* micro and small and medium enterprises in India, and at PayPal, we are committed to helping small businesses grow through online exports – safely and conveniently. This tie-up is a significant first step in helping the smallest of Indian retail exporters increase sales and sell directly to global customers who want to buy Indian goods but prefer the convenience of shopping and paying safely online – anytime, anywhere with PayPal,” said Mr. Mayur Patel, India Country Manager, PayPal.
Indian retail exporters stand to benefit from this collaboration through seminars, webinars and workshops to be carried out across India to educate exporters about export policies, international trading incentives and eCommerce best practices for overseas trade which will include:
- FIEO will educate eBay and PayPal merchants on understanding export policies, procedures, incentives and benefits available to exporters.
- As part of the rollout, in the next few weeks, eBay India, with their expertise in eCommerce, will train FIEO exporters on transitioning smoothly from a sole offline business mode to an integrated model that incorporates eCommerce. eBay India will share best practices on listing products on the global marketplace, international selling, shipping, logistics and delivery.
- As part of the rollout, in the next few weeks, PayPal, as the global online payments leader, will share how retail exporters can expand their business and start selling online to global consumers. Specific training modules will cover:
- Safe and secure online payments in 25 currencies with PayPal’s world class security, risk and fraud management systems backed by customer support.
- Global buyers have high expectations of online sellers. With close to 14 years of experience in facilitating online cross-border trade, PayPal will assist FIEO registered exporters to understand and meet expectations of global ecommerce buyers.
- PayPal will share how FIEO members can grow their business by offering a multi-channel selling experience including online and mobile commerce solutions.
Additionally, FIEO, eBay India and PayPal will work together to highlight the role and benefits of eCommerce for the Indian export sector, and represent the challenges faced by retail online exporters with policy makers, relevant government bodies, and regulators.Category : Ecommerce News